Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Chinese happiness with a teaspoon of friendship

In Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, dementors are soulless creatures considered to be among the foulest beasts on earth. They are soul sucking beings that dement people by feeding on people's happiness and good memories, forcing them to recall their worst moments. When a dementor passes by, everything became dark and cold. Besides feeding on positive emotions, Dementors can perform the Dementor's Kiss, where the Dementor latches its mouth onto a victim's lips and sucks out the person's soul.The victim is left as an empty shell, incapable of thought and with no possibility of recovery. It is believed that existing after a Dementor's Kiss is worse than death.

Even though there are no dementors in real life, right now i feel like i am surrounded by a couple of those due to some personal problems. For me, everything seemed to be nocturnally dark and cold. My mind is often beset with bad thoughts and worries. There is little happiness and unfortunately more depression.

But they say you can repel dementors by simply thinking of strong, happy thoughts. What keeps me going in life is God, my dreams in life, the opportunity that im really thankful of to God, my sister, my friends like Jonathan, Mark, my classmates, Marlon, a certain significant other(he isn't my boyfriend but we're in -puppy- love with each other. =p) and of course some good memories that serves as an inspiration as well as motivation to move on with life.

Once upon a time, in faraway Hong Kong, dad and i paid a visit to some of my Chinese relatives who live there. It was the first time i met my foreign relatives whom i only saw on photo albums. I thought they were meaner, less hospitable and i will not understand them much since they were foreigners, but i was proved wrong. I spent a day not as Irish the Filipina but as Irish the Chinese girl. The memories of lively, crowded streets that smells joss incense, the dynamic infusion of ancient, oriental wisdom and modern ambiance, the very sweet smiles of my relatives and the sense of belongingness are so vivid in me. They are something that i will never find in any of the 7,107 islands where i live, but in some other place which gently whispers to me as the place where i should really belong. I will never forget April 6,2009.

Back in the Philippines, i have some of the most beloved people in my life- my best friends. My best friends were the ones who understood what i felt, enjoyed with me, cried with me, talked to me about their joys as well as their woes. In the past 16 years, my best friends are mostly transient. Even if i met Jonathan and Mark Malabanan, there are still doubts if they're really the best friends i was wishing for, but when i was with them, they never failed to stand by my side and do what's best for me. Even if their minds aren't as open minded as mine, they still manage to understand my innermost feelings- one thing that most of my transient "best friends" haven't managed to do. It's harsh to compare them with my other best friends because all of them have different capabilities. But still, i love my best friends, even the transient ones.

Just one of life's little sentiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment